Thursday, January 22, 2009

OVER THE HILL

My father Chad turned 50 on January 10th, 2009. My father thought this was not a big deal, he always says "you are as old as you feel" and if you are in the kind of shape my father is in you would probably feel like you are 20!!!
For my father's birthday we decided to take him out to dinner, throw him a party and have a walk down memory lane. But one of the biggest surprise was that his older brother Tom and his wife Renea came down from Wyoming to join in the celebrations. To start the night off we went to dinner at Famous Daves, Larry and Phyllis met us at the restaurant to join in the celebration. After dinner we went back to my parents house were friends joined us as we had cake, we watched dad open up presents and had him guess who were the authors of 50 memories from his past. Thanks to all of dads family for pitching in some fun and special memories. Here are the 50 memories and some picture from the party.

Chad is the perfect tour guide of Salt Lake City! He has navigated us through endless vacations to his home city! We will be forever indebted to him for that and for making us feel at home in his home!
-Kelly, P.J., David, Toni, Angela
In their youth, Chad always made Uncle Kelly go to the bank and draw out some spending money for him. It was usually in the amount of $5.00. :)
-Kelly, P.J., David, Toni, Angela
One time while Chad was visiting in Casper, him, Uncle Kelly, David, and Brittany went to hike by the Falls on Casper Mtn. Somehow, the hiking party got stuck on the rocks by the Falls.- Memorable moment! Sorry, Chad!
-Kelly, P.J., David, Toni, Angela
Chad has always hosted the best backyard barbecues at his home! His cooking outdoors is the best! And the pond and the flowers are great- what a green thumb!
We love you, Chad! Sorry we can't be there to help you turn the big 5-0!
-Kelly, P.J., David, Toni, Angela
Chad was baptized 3 times - he should have been a Bishop
-MOM
Chad was the first Kerr child to get stitches - fell on a coffee table.
-MOM
Chad was very frugal with his money in high school
-Sandy
Chad would wind and check the time on his alarm clock every night with the kitchen clock.
-Sandy
When Chad has fries with his meals - he always - to this day - has to eat them in '3's'.
-Sandy
Chad is a very strong loving family man - takes great care of himself as well.
-Sandy
As I think of more tonight I will e-mail them to you - have a great time
-Sandy
Playing Babe Ruth baseball with him. He was 13 and playing second base and I was 15 and playing Shortstop and we turned a few double plays together. It was cool to have him playing next to me.
-Tom
Going backpacking with him a couple of Summers ago. It was nice to get away in the Unitas and have some back to nature time with the Lord and my brother.
-Tom
A real fun time with Chad and Jim was when we went on a camping trip one summer when he was just out of High school and we went up to Pinedale. We thought we had packed everything until we went to set up the tent and found out that we forgot the TENT POLES. So we found sticks and tied the ends of the tents to his truck and tried to make it work. It think we ended up sleeping outside. A real fun time!!
-Tom
And my number one memory of Chad will be that no matter where he goes in life, what he does in life and even when he dies, I will always be with him. You see Chad has a piece of pencil lead in his forehead from a pencil that I threw at him for giving me some lip when we were in our teens. He claims to be innocent and I am just thankful that I did not hit him in the eye. I just pray to God that Chad does not die of LEAD POISONING!!!
-Tom
Why I love my Brother Chad:
It is quite simple: He is a FAMILY MAN through and through. He loves his family and will do anything to help them and be there for them. A great role model as a father and husband. A hard working and dedicated employee who knows the value of hard work and a dollar. A man who will never give up on life no matter what life may throw at him. A man who loves life and takes care of himself and seeks to enjoy the life that God has blessed him with. Chad has been an inspiration to me to want to stay fit so that I may be able to enjoy my life everyday.
I love you Chad and thanks for all you do for your family.
-Tom and Renea
Changing Brittany’s brakes on the Jeep, installed wrong rotors, should have been a 20 min job, took 2 hours.
- Eddie
Watching the Jazz lose to the lakers in game 5 (or maybe six) while on the Cruise boat at midnight.
-Eddie
Giving Brittany away, gave her daughter a kiss goodbye and handed her off. Ill never forget the look on his face.
-Eddie
Working out at the local gym, he helped my get up my max, even thought I hadn't worked out in a good year or so.
-Eddie
The elephant noises while in San Diego... we have video of it! haha!
-Eddie
I remember every time we used to go on family vacations in the Big Green ugly station wagon. Your dad was always the one that would fart and stink up the car horribly. And for some reason it seemed like Kelly and I were always the one stuck in the way back with him.
-Pam
The kick fights him and I would have when neither one of us wanted to share the couch. Seems he definitely was the big brother as I always lost and was always the one sitting on the floor crying to mom.
-Pam
His friend. Mark Blanchard who I thought was downright gorgeous but he would never set me up with!! AW... the life we could have had.
-Pam
His Dodge Charger . What a great brother to always let me drive it. Especially when I was taking boyfriends home and wanted to impress them.
-Pam
The way he felt that the only way he could show me his love was by smacking me in the right arm every time I saw him - Brotherly love and to this day I am still very weary of greeting him.
-Pam
The last couple of times he has come home and we got to walk the Casper Mountain Bridle trail. I love having that alone time with him and the talks.The way he mentors and encourages me on my work outs. Wish he were here all the time to lift weights with!!
-Pam
He has been a outstanding brother and friend to not only me but my kids as well. Thank you so much for doing this for him. Wish we were all there to celebrate him.
-Pam
One of my favorite memories is when I danced with him during my wedding for the Father- Daughter dance. I was crying and Dad has tears in his eyes with a big smile on his face.
-Brittany
As a child it was always a special morning when Dad would make breakfast. He would make me “Special Pancakes”. They were special because Dad made them.
-Brittany
I remember my sister and I would always try and save my Mom from being tickled by Dad. All three of us could never take him down; we would all end up being tickle so much our stomachs hurt from laughing.
-Brittany
We would always get one “Boy Gift” from my dad every year for Christmas. One Christmas we got baseball gloves. When the summer came around my dad was teaching me how to throw and catch. He kept saying “Don’t flinch when you catch the ball you are going to get hurt”. Well when I started to get the hang or things he told me he was going to throw the ball hard to me. When we throw the ball I flinched and this fast ball hit me square in my stomach. I had a big round bruise on my tummy for about two weeks, but from then on I never flinched at a ball again and I can catch almost anything people throw at me.
-Brittany
I remember Dad and I went on a backpacking trip up in the Uintas (just the two of us) it was so much fun we walked through 3 feet of snow in the middle of July, we ate just add water meals, we fished all day and talked for hours by the fire. Best father daughter camping trip ever.
-Brittany
I really enjoyed going camping and fishing with Chad at places like Moose Lake, Moose Horn Lake and Butterfly Lake.
-Debbie
I love Chad because he gave me two awesome children.
- Debbie
I love Chad because he is kind and giving.
- Debbie
I love Chad because he helps a lot of people, whenever they need it.
-Debbie
I love Chad because he has given us a wonderful life filled with love and patients.
-Debbie
I really enjoyed going camping and fishing with Chad at places like Moose Lake, Moose Horn Lake and Butterfly Lake.
-Debbie
I love Chad because he gave me two awesome children.
- Debbie
I love Chad because he is kind and giving.
- Debbie
I love Chad because he helps a lot of people, whenever they need it.
-Debbie
I love Chad because he has given us a wonderful life filled with love and patients.
-Debbie
I use to love to watch Chad eat breakfast, especially with his fried eggs. He would dunk his toast into the yolk then take a bite of sausage and then a bite of hash browns. He had a whole routine of how he ate his breakfast.............it was great to watch.
-Greg
I use to love to watch Chad have his fried baloney sandwiches for lunch. This was another meal where he was very routine about doing.
-Greg
I was always amazed on how good Chad was at fishing. He would go out to this little reservoir called Golden Eye or something like that and always come home with fish. Whenever I went out there, I could not get even a bite.
-Greg
But, but, my favorite Chad story was when he would come home drunk and try to be straight-faced about it. We could always tell he had been drinking, because he would come into the house and always talk very loud as if to tell us he was fine and had not been out putting down a few with the boys. "HI, HOW IS EVERYONE, I'M FINE, I THINK I WILL GO TO BED NOW."
-Greg
However, I will always be thankful to Chad way back when I was living in Milwaukee and Chad was still in Casper. He had a Chevy pickup w/ 4 wheel drive and a CB radio in it. I came home for a Christmas break and Chad let me use his truck to go down to Colorado to ski. On my way home, from Colorado just a short way past Douglas, I saw Dad headed south toward Douglas making one of his sales trips, and we spotted each other. Dad & I got to talk over the CB radio for a couple of minutes before we were out of range. I will always be thankful to Chad for letting me use his truck and having that memory of Dad.
-Greg
I could go on and on.................................but the most important message is I am sooooooooooooo thankful to have Chad as one of my brothers that I cannot put into words just how much I love him. Our family has been blessed to have him as a part of it. The family would not have been the same without him.
If you ever saw the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life", the message from the movie, is that Chad, you have been a vital part of every one's life and I & we all thank you and love you.
Your brother Greg!
When we went to six flags in Denver... the look and the laughter Chad had when he was spinning all of us in the tea cup ride, while everyone was getting sick and nauseous.
-Mikes
The first time I met Chad... unfortunately it was when I made Destiny cry... I was a compulsive liar back then!
-Mikes
Listening to Chad karaoke to Hotel California- he's gotta crazy air guitar solo!
-Mikes
Mountain biking in the woods and watching him fall off the bike and eat dirt... yummy!
-Mikes
I always loved to see him drunk. Especially when he had to much and found him sitting on the back steps. My sister in the back ground screaming "dont puke next to my window" which he always did.
-Destiny
When I was younger we would play jumpa jumpa; Which involved launching ourselves of his legs and flying into a stack of pillows at the other end of the room.
-Destiny
I love my dad because he is always joking and unfortunately dad and I are the only ones who get each other’s jokes.
-Destiny
Whenever Dad would re-finish the hardwood floors, he would have us sit inside of a pillow case at one end of the room. Then he then take the end of the pillow (with us in it) and fling it as hard as he could and we would slide to the other end of the room and stop by hitting up against the wall.
-Destiny
Dad has this shirt that he has had ever since high school (mom hates this shirt). One time when we were all hanging out, We all started telling dad “go put on your paper mache shirt on” so he did. He comes out of his room with this really funny looking shirt on and sticks a pose for the camera!!!!!! He is so proud of that shirt.
-Destiny










1 comment:

Jujusma said...

Thanks for including us that night! It was great to share in your dad's milestone!